The Remembrance of Nuns

The Mater Salvatoris House in Máriabesnyő (Gödöllő) used to be an accommodation for nuns. The communist power dissolved the religious orders. In the following we can read the remembrance of some elderly sisters.

Sister Eve, aged 86

The Russians arrived to Máriabesnyő in December 8, 1944. It was as though hell had been let loose, the bullets came as a hailstorm, two doors and two windows were broken. They wanted to take away the Sisters. The leader of the novices, Krocsek Katalin (Sister Ambrosia) offered herself in place of the sisters, to which they shot her in the thighs so she became limp for the rest of her life. Sister Eve was 15 years old and was sitting at the feet of Sister Ambrosia, when they wanted to be violent with her. Later the sisters were transported to different cities. Only the Holy fathers kept the faith in them. The agents of the State Security Office were watching them constantly.


Sister Ida, aged 88

The dissolution of religious orders happened when I was 26, and I have been a nun for 10 years, and I was in Máriabesnyőn at the time. Our house in Máriabesnyői was the house of the novices. We knew thatthey were up to something, but we did not expect to be transported away. Soós Marcelina was the leader of the province and the leader of the house in Máriabesnyői was Sister Tribenzer Jozefa. They started to gather the religious orders after the Heart of Christ festival, so our house became a collecting place, too. The State Security Office brought the nuns in covered trucks from different places. We were around 420 from 14 different orders. I was especially moved by the arrival of the first group – the Loreto Sisters from Budapestről. As soon as they got off the car they went into the chapel and started singing enthusiastically „My God it is good for us here.” Our house in Besnyő couldn`t cater for so many people. This was a house of novices for the sisters and we had more people only when they came for a retreat. It was difficult to host so many people because of the lack of space. The holy fathers from the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin who lived in the neighbourhood came to our help. Father Bögözi Vilmos brought us hay, so that we could sleep on the floor. This way we could cope with the placement of so many people. We weren`t upset, since Jesus too lied on hay. We couldn`t leave the house and we did not really have much to eat. Thin soup and gathered dry bread was very good for breakfast then. Later word spread that there are a lot of nuns collected together in the house, and from the neighbouring villages, Bag, Püspökhatvan and Besnyő people brought us ingredients for cooking every Sunday, so that the sisters have something to eat. Thus have our Lord provided for us. The State Security Office came every weak to check on us, they counted us in pairs to know that everybody is still there. 2-3 guard was guarding. In the beginning, we could not have visitors either, later we could but strictly for ten minutes. In spite of all this we had a beautiful inner life. With the help of Father Bögözi Vilmos we got power from God. Three masses had to be held daily because there was not enough space for us in the chapel. On Thursdays we held all day long masses, we could also confess. This big family was together from June until the 8th of September. On the 8th of September we ceremonially put a piece of our habit on the altar, signalling that we do not take of the habits of order by our free will. Next day we had to wear civilian clothes and under the surveillance of the State Security Office we left the house.


Sister Gertulia ,aged 98

The holy orders were dissolved in 1950. When we had to leave Máriabesnyőt, there were more than 400 sisters there. In the gathering camp of Máriabesnyő the sisters from the Order of Saint Dominic, Ursulines, Kalocsai School Sister, sisters named from Saint Vincent, Premontrei sisters, The Daughters of divine love sisters were together with our sisters. . The sisters could not find a job without recommendation. If they took of the clothes of their order, they could live in peace as civilians, they were not hurt. They were excellent, reliable workers and they were appreciated as excellent nurses. The sisters were sent to different places and because of the constant surveillance of the State Security Office it was difficult to keep in touch.